Friday, January 29, 2010

Wolf Moon

Tonight is the Wolf Moon... the full moon when the moon is closest to the earth. If you get a chance, go outside and observe its splendor. :) The moon is moving slowly away from the earth, so cherish its nearness while you are able.

Today we started re-introducing a kid to her mama. 2 days ago, when she was born, she lay cold and lifeless in the freezing temperature, her mom neglecting to clean her off. She was brought into the house and I gave her a warm bath, frantically rubbed her for 2 hours, and sucked out the mucus from her lungs with a nasal aspirator so that she could take her first breaths. Each moment seemed like an eternity, and I dared not hope she would survive the next 5 minutes. However, she kept improving, little by little, and after that first night, I breathed a sigh of relief and dared to let myself hope that she would make it. For the past 2 days, my husband and I have been feeding her her mother's milk from a bottle and keeping her in the living room beside a space heater. We didn't know if she would survive her first night, but now she is well enough that we moved her to the barn and are working on getting her reaquainted with her mama. It's a work in progress, but we have hope that she will become a goat again.

Also, around 3 hours ago, another little doe kid was born to a first time mom. They are bonding well so far although I have to go back down to the barn tonight and make sure the mama is letting her kid drink.

More than January 1st, this day feels like the new year for me. It's a day I feel strongly connected with the natural world, the seasons, the moon, and life. It's a day where a tiny new life entered the world, and also a day where another tiny new life was given a second chance to connect with who she is.

Yesterday, my (human) son said his first word, "hello!" and started to crawl.

I feel surrounded by babies, ready and eager to embrace their new world. Their enthusiasm has given me new eyes as well. I guess I'm a month late, but Happy New Year! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi-

    oh my this is a wonderful post of all things good and right in this world. "thank you, - thank you, thank you"

    Love Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete